Location: 3 Panchayats of Monteswar block of Burdwan district, East, West Bengal
Nature of Initiative: Implementing
Project holder: Mrs. Shubhra Chatterji
CRY support since: 2011 – 2012
- There is an increase in the language proficiency and inculcation of independent thought process.
- Increased innovative and creative expressions and thoughts.
- Have ensured 100% enrolment and retention of children in schools
- 30 ICDS center staffs have been provided though the 10 centers have been included in the model building.
- Out of the 34 children listed as drop outs identified, 26 were enrolled in age appropriate classes.
Vikramshila has since 1989, brought to existence many such schools for organizations working at the grassroots level. Gradually, the schools became resource schools for the vicinity, and their teachers became the mentors. Vikramshila was successful in creating a community of learners.. The organization works with a large number of teaching communities, government departments, non government bodies as well as bilateral agencies to ensure quality and equity in primary education.Vikramshila has recognition at both State and National level as a resource organization on issues of quality education. Vikramshila’s work with CRY involves experimenting on quality issues while also addressing the access issues.As Early Childhood Care Education / Development is a focus area of CRY and ‘Vikramshila playing role in designing ECCE module for the state and will give scope for taking up the matter at the Block and district level subsequently.